I absolutely love chicken shawarmas! I love the taste of the chicken that has been slow cooked all day with a marinade and I love the white garlic sauce that you dip the pita bread in. We don’t get to go to my favorite Lebanese restaurant very often so I thought, “I can make it myself!”. So, on to Pinterest I went to look at recipes! I found a couple and combined them and this is what I came up with:
This is the recipe for the marinated chicken:
Combine all together in a zip-lock bag and marinade anywhere from 4-24 hours in the fridge. After it’s done marinating, you can grill it until cooked through. I used the leftovers from a baked chicken so I didn’t have to cook the chicken.
For Tahini sauce (to spread on the pita bread)
Sesame seeds-1cup( or use tahini) (Look below for Tahini recipe)
Olive oil-1/4 cup
Garlic(paste) – 2 cloves (Look below for recipe)
Cumin powder- 1/4 tsp
lemon juice-2 to 3 tsp
Salt to taste
2 cups sesame seeds
1/3 cup olive oil, plus more as necessary
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place sesame seeds in a rimmed sheet pan and cook until lightly toasted toast, but not browned, about 5 minutes, tossing seeds ever couple of minutes with a spatula. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly.
2) Place sesame seeds in work bowl of a food processor with olive oil. Process until smooth and paste as consistence slightly thinner than peanut butter, adding more oil if necessary. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator.
– 2 heads of garlic
– 1 tbs sea salt
– 1 cup olive oil
– 1/2 cup lemon juice
1. separate all the garlic cloves & peel them.
2. blend the garlic & salt together until it’s a smooth, creamy paste. I used my smaller food processor for this.
3. alternate adding oil & lemon 1 tbs at a time. Add a tbs of olive oil first & then blend until it is completely combined. Then add a tbs of lemon juice & once again blend until completely combined. Once you’re about half way through the lemon & oil, you can start adding them 3tbs at a time. Once it’s all been added, you want to continue to blend until the mixture starts to thicken & take on a yogurt or mayo like consistency.
4. refrigerate until ready for use
For the shawarma:
1 English cucumber
Romaine lettuce (cut into strips)
Spread Tahini sauce on pita. Layer marinated chicken next and then top with vegetables. Wrap pita up and enjoy!