I absolutely love chicken shawarmas! I love the taste of the chicken that has been slow cooked all day with a marinade and I love the white garlic sauce that you dip the pita bread in. We don’t get to go to my favorite Lebanese restaurant very often so I thought, “I can make it myself!”. So, on to Pinterest I went to look at recipes! I found a couple and combined them and this is what I came up with:
This is the recipe for the marinated chicken:
2 lg. chicken breasts
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
Combine all together in a zip-lock bag and marinade anywhere from 4-24 hours in the fridge. After it’s done marinating, you can grill it until cooked through. I used the leftovers from a baked chicken so I didn’t have to cook the chicken.
Mixing the ingredients
All mixed up
For Tahini sauce (to spread on the pita bread)
Sesame seeds-1cup( or use tahini) (Look below for Tahini recipe)
Olive oil-1/4 cup
Garlic(paste) – 2 cloves (Look below for recipe)
Cumin powder- 1/4 tsp
lemon juice-2 to 3 tsp
Salt to taste
Sesame seeds cooked and cooled and ready to be mixed with the olive oil
Pouring the olive in
The finished product after I added the other ingredients
Sesame seeds are ready to be baked
2 cups sesame seeds
1/3 cup olive oil, plus more as necessary
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place sesame seeds in a rimmed sheet pan and cook until lightly toasted toast, but not browned, about 5 minutes, tossing seeds ever couple of minutes with a spatula. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly.
Sesame seeds cooked and cooling
2) Place sesame seeds in work bowl of a food processor with olive oil. Process until smooth and paste as consistence slightly thinner than peanut butter, adding more oil if necessary. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator.
Mix it all in a food processor.
This is the finished product:
– 2 heads of garlic
– 1 tbs sea salt
– 1 cup olive oil
– 1/2 cup lemon juice
1. separate all the garlic cloves & peel them.
2. blend the garlic & salt together until it’s a smooth, creamy paste. I used my smaller food processor for this.
3. alternate adding oil & lemon 1 tbs at a time. Add a tbs of olive oil first & then blend until it is completely combined. Then add a tbs of lemon juice & once again blend until completely combined. Once you’re about half way through the lemon & oil, you can start adding them 3tbs at a time. Once it’s all been added, you want to continue to blend until the mixture starts to thicken & take on a yogurt or mayo like consistency.
4. refrigerate until ready for use
For the shawarma:
The vegetables I cut up
1 English cucumber
Romaine lettuce (cut into strips)
Spread Tahini sauce on pita. Layer marinated chicken next and then top with vegetables. Wrap pita up and enjoy!
Adding the Tahini and meat