Yesterday I made Penne Pasta with home-made blueberry muffins. I realized I didn’t give the recipe yet for the muffins so I wanted to do that today.
They almost looked burnt, but they aren’t. They are moist and delicious! Just add some butter and enjoy!
Here is the recipe:
1 stick butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 Eggs, large
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 1/2 cup blueberries
, fresh or frozen
2 cup flour
1/2 cup milk
1/4 tsp cinnamon, for topping
2 tbsp sugar, for topping
1 Measure 3/4 cup blueberries and mash them with a fork and set aside.2 Cream
butter and sugar with paddle attachment until light and fluffy.3 Add eggs,vanilla, baking powder and salt, mix well.
4 Add the mashed blueberries and mix on low.
5 Add half the flour,mix on low until combined well, mix in half the milk on low…add the remaining half of flour mixing on low…then end with the remaining milk still mixing on low until well blended.
6 Fold in whole blueberries.
7 Scoop into prepared(either paper lined or spray with Pam) muffin pan.
8 Sprinkle tops with cinnamon sugar mixture.
9 Let rest about 5 minutes before baking.
Bake for 25-30 minutes at 375(350 for dark pans). Let rest 30 minutes after baking and enjoy.
Yesterday was my daughter’s twelfth birthday. Where does time go? Way too fast! She wanted my home made chocolate cake for her birthday, so that is what I made. It is a very easy recipe! Two things I would change in the recipe is lessen the amount of sugar (it’s very sweet) and double up the frosting recipe so it spreads thicker on the cake. I melted a piece of 80% Lindt dark chocolate and mixed it in with the icing to lessen the sweetness. Doesn’t it also make the cake more healthful? Isn’t dark chocolate good for you? This is my excuse to have two pieces!
Here is the recipe:
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups flour
3/4 cup Hershey’s cocoa
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
Notes / Directions
For the frosting:
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter or margarine
2/3 cup Hershey’s cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Heat oven to 350°. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost. 10 to 12 servings.
4. For the frosting, melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount of additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. Makes about 2 cups frosting.
This recipe is from Allrecipes.com:
My husband came home with two big bags of apples last week from an orchard. We gave one bag to the neighbors and he repeatedly said I could use our bag to make apple pies. He never says anything like! He usually eats what I set in front of him and doesn’t specifically ask for anything in particular. We had the next day off of school and I took my girls to an apple orchard for the afternoon. As I watched them play I thought, “I should go home and attempt to make an apple pie from scratch…even the crust”. The girls were done playing and I took them home and looked for a pie recipe that would be easy to follow. This is the one I stumbled on and I have to say it was not only simple, but delicious! I actually made 3 pies from the apples and we ate them all! Here is the recipe: Enjoy! (I did use a pie crust recipe from my Betty Crocker cookbook for the double crust)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add water, white sugar and brown sugar, and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and let simmer.
- Place the bottom crust in your pan. Fill with apples, mounded slightly. Cover with a lattice work crust. Gently pour the sugar and butter liquid over the crust. Pour slowly so that it does not run off.
- Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes, until apples are soft.